Tips for First-Time Moving Truck Drivers
Driving a larger vehicle can be intimidating if you are not used to the size, shape and maneuverability of the truck or van. At Elite Truck Rental, we don’t want you to be intimidated by being behind the wheel of an unfamiliar vehicle! Read on for some tips to feeling comfortable in the driver’s seat of a moving truck.
- Beware of Blind Spots: Unlike with passenger vehicles, you will not be able to rely upon a rearview mirror to see what’s going on behind you. Your side-view mirrors are key to staying alert and aware of your surroundings. If you need to reverse, it is helpful to have someone watching outside the vehicle and directing you through the best route.
- Be Careful on the Brakes: A moving truck weighs more than your own vehicle when it is packed full of your belongings. The extra weight prompts stopping and going to feel different than an everyday vehicle. Take your time stopping and allow for extra space between vehicles if you need to make a sudden stop.
- Know Your Route: If you are traveling across the state or country to your new place, it is a good idea to know exactly your route of travel. If you have to spend the night somewhere, it is best to find a hotel with truck parking. Any restaurants that you are stopping at should have ample room for a moving truck as well.
- Take Your Time: This goes for turning and switching lanes. A moving truck is larger and heavier and needs some extra time to move into a new spot or new way. Always, take a careful look at where you are going to make sure that you fit and have time to get there between vehicles.
- Get Comfortable: Just like in your own vehicle, take time to adjust the seat and mirrors. Become familiar with the heat and AC settings and music offerings and dials as well. You do not want to be figuring anything out while you are trying to drive a vehicle that you are not used to.
- Know Your Height: You certainly don’t want to get stuck under bridges or overpasses! We can go over your truck’s height, so you know where you can travel safely.
Let Elite Assist You With Your Moving Truck
Our team can help you decide what truck or van is the best one for your upcoming move or special event. We have many sizes of moving rentals, depending on how much stuff you have to transport. Our fleet is filled with everything from 24-foot trucks to vans.
Our reservation guarantee is in place, so you can rely upon the fact that your rental will be here waiting for you when you arrive to pick it up. We thoroughly clean our vehicles between each and every rental as well. Connect with us through our online contact form.